Monday, October 14, 2013

31 Favorite Things about Leelee - Day 14


Its difficult to watch your child's accomplishments and not wonder about their "talents" compared to other kids. Its probably rolled through the brain of most parents, the possibility that they could be "gifted" or even "brilliant", and the child's whole life flashes through your pride-drunk brain with glimpses of multiple smiling, proud graduation poses, lab coats, Nobel prizes and slow-motion images of the child waving from the foot of the White House steps. While some kids truly have exceptional brains from birth, sometimes I think its just that a child has learned a particular skill more quickly than expected. Or with more fervor. Or, even, passion.

Since you could muster the muscle power to wave your chubby palm, you've been engaging everyone around you with an enthusiasm that surprises, but (usually) also delights. You appear to revel in performing. Evident even this afternoon, when you serenaded your dentist as she picked at your teeth. 

I don't know if that is a talent or something you just feel compelled to do, but it got me thinking. I shouldn't push you into drama or dance class just because you danced around a lot as a kid. I shouldn't push you into softball because you're show talent in it; I should encourage softball until its no longer fun for you. While I want so badly for you to be excited about going to school, fall in love with reading, go to college and not date until you have a master's degree, this is my dream for you, and will really only be my vision of what your life could be like. Its going to be difficult, but should you have a different idea of your future, I have got to support that. Even if that means supporting a career in comedy, or dancing, or the military, or the carnival. 

And, after thinking on it, of course you're going to choose a life different than I had planned. You should. You absolutely should have control over that choice. And I'm learning to give you more choices even today, with what you want to wear, what you want to do with your hair, its all your property, kiddo. 

Your mind, your body, and your future. Go on, my little seed, and grow where the wind carries you.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment