Thursday, October 17, 2013

31 Favorite Things about Leelee - Day 17

We talk.


Before you were the ripe age of almost-6, when I'd have to explain things to you, barely a minute would go by before your eyes would begin to glaze over and I'd lose you to either boredom or your imagination. You couldn't stand explanations to issues that went on past 30-seconds, and who could blame you? The world was going on behind my face and you had no time to stop and understand something. What child wants to do that?




But, since then, our conversations have blossomed into actual real talk. When I ask you if you understand, you don't auto-reply with a "Yes, mommy." You shake your head. You ask questions. Smart questions. Questions I would never think of. And you're beginning to grasp concepts like being considerate, personal space, the importance of taking care of your body, and the sad realities of being dishonest.













This budding connection is neat to me, because I'm sharing things with you with more freedom. I tell you about my day, my classes, my fears, my frustrations, because there's a chance you might understand. And a chance you might have some five-year-old almost-6-year-old wisdom to shed on things.



And who couldn't use such wonderful, simplified views on life.


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment