Wednesday, October 30, 2013

31 Favorite Things about Leelee - Day 30

My princess.

Your last day as a five-year old is today, my dear. And its tough to say goodbye to another year. Easy for you, but its getting tougher for me to see the chubby baby cheeks. Your fingers are no longer pudgy and stinky. You're becoming a young lady and growing up. I don't know what to expect of you at age six. No one really talks about how cute six-year-olds are, I haven't heard of any "sassy sixes" attitudes that I have to prepare for, so its all a big question mark. But, that's kind of the fun of the adventure. You're a wild card, kiddo.

In my public speaking class in college this year I had to write a special occasion speech. I chose to use you as inspiration, and I want to share the speech with you here:



Hello, I’m Jen and today
I’d like to say farewell, if I may
To someone very close to me
to the baby version 
of my daughter, Leelee

Nearly six years ago
You came home
And since that day
You've grown and grown

Through onesies and bibs
Through newborn and toddler
I knew it was coming
You grew farther and farther

Into your own
This brave little soldier
I tried to stop it
But love, you grew older

You grew some teeth
And attitude
You learned your manners
And ate solid food

Today you walk, run
And make up dances
You speak your mind
And you take chances

You've grown so much
As children do
But it caught mommy off guard
I mean, who knew

Time would fly and
In just a few days
You’ll be starting school
And learning more ways

To grow even further 
Out of my arms
But love I’m so proud
Of all of your charms

So go get ‘em kiddo,
Mommy’s ready to go
So excited to see 
You flourish and grow

So goodbye sippy cups
Blues Clues and Steve
Goodbye boogers
Along my sleeve

Goodbye wipes
Goodbye diapers
Goodbye Dora
Goodbye Swiper

Goodbye baby Leelee
I won’t keep you from
The amazing person
I know you’ll become

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment