Friday, October 4, 2013

31 Favorite Things about Leelee - Day 4

Your mad reading skills.



For a few months, beginning this year, we've been sticking post-it notes around the house with words on them describing what they're stuck to. "Chair" on the chair, "lamp" on the lamp, and so on. In stores, I try to ask you to sound words out and its funny how immediately defiant you are to even try at first.

"I don't want to try to sound it out," you whine.

When I start to do it for you, your independence streak kicks in and you go "I CAN DO IT!" and we're cuh-cuh-cuh-ing and buh-buh-buh-ing our way through the store. And when you get the words right, you gleam with pride. Its such a joy to see.

I don't have as much time to read to you now that I'm back in school, but we do get at least two books a week read and it reminds me so much of when Nana Mary would read to me. I must have been 12 when she finally stopped, but it absolutely helped me to learn the written word and appreciate it.

I'm not sure whether the post-it notes, in-store tutorials or reading in bed helped get you where you are today, or you're just super smart (I'll bathe in that parent pride for a minute...), but it amazes me just how many words you're able to recognize now. I remember you learning the ABCs and how long a road I thought it would be til you'd be reading on your own. But it seems like any day now you'll pick up your own book, head to a corner, and be whisked away to Narnia or Oz or Wonderland, which is both scary and exciting. I am eager for you to fall in love with books and reading, because I truly believe it will make you a smarter, wiser, more well-rounded human, but its also so strange to watch you evolve.

Of course, there are still things you can't do. To date, you cannot tie your shoes, ride a bike without training wheels, or spell your last name, so at least I still have those to hang on to.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment