Friday, October 18, 2013

31 Favorite Things about Leelee - Day 18

You own you.

When I found out I was having a girl, I was overjoyed. The wind of frilly dresses, girly hair-dos and painted nails whisked through my brain and I was excited to have a bit of a baby doll to mold into whatever style I chose.













But it didn't happen that way.Well, for the first few years, when you had no choice, your style was dictated by ME and everything from socks to chonies to hairstyles were my decision and you couldn't really care less.

Today, however, the way you look has become something you are taking ownership of. And while it annoys me a little that you would rather have your hair down EVERY SINGLE DAY, instead of letting me try the hundreds of hairstyles I have pinned on my Pinterest boards, I'm learning that your hair, your style is yours. Who am I to dictate and have you follow what I want you to look like. So long as you don't smell like hell and the attire is weather-appropriate, I've been learning to sigh internally and say, Okay! If that's what you want to wear today! with as little judgment in my tone as possible.





Should I allow you to have a mohawk in 6th grade? Sure, why not. Are you destined to join the next goth phase that makes its way through to your generation? I don't think I have a place in the decision so long as you maintain you remain true to who you are.



What I care about when it comes to your appearance is I don't want you to try change the way you dress or act to fit into some mold. Even at your age, you've already begun to be bombarded with images of who you should be. I don't want you to try to be like someone you see on TV.


I don't want you to be constrained to ideas other people have for you (even me). Those images you see are too much to live up to, and you, just as you are, have so much more to offer the world. Don't cheat the world of that. Don't cheat the world of knowing who you really are and everything you're destined to be.


Because you, sweet girl, are going to rock it.


 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment